Cartier, but this wonderful Art Deco Cartier watch is a true find. This ladies’ evening watch is platinum, framed by two diamond baguettes and a case studded with Old Mine cut diamonds. It has a silk cord band with an enamel clasp, which is the precursor to the deployant buckle used in Cartier watches today. Its condition is remarkable considering its age - the enamel clasp and cord are intact with little wear.
What makes this watch particularly sought after as a collectible, though, are the two hallmarks on the piece. First, there is an EWC stamp (European Watch and Clock Company) located in the back of the watch alongside the workshop and stock numbers. The European Watch and Clock Company was founded in 1919 as a joint venture between Cartier and Edward Jaeger, and was the primary producer of watch movements for Cartier in Paris. The second hallmark is the dog’s head stamp on the side of the watch, which can be seen in the photo below. Platinum was first officially recognized as a precious metal by the French government in 1910, when the eagle’s head stamp was used to denote both gold and platinum. The dog’s head stamp was introduced in 1912 as a separate mark just for platinum.