Topaz is the traditional birthstone for the month of November. Here are a few interesting facts about the stone for those who celebrate birthdays this month.
- Topaz comes in a variety of colors, tinted by impurities, however a pure Topaz is colorless and transparent.
- Blue was once the rarest color of Topaz, now the most common, due to the stable enhancement process that turns a colorless Topaz blue.
- According to legend, Topaz rids one of all enchantment and helps to improve eyesight.
- Similar to a diamond, Topaz is very hard gemstone. With one sharp blow, the stone can split.
- Topaz is found in Brazil, Mexico, Sri Lanka, Africa and China.
- The term “Imperial Topaz” comes from the use of Brazilian topaz (from rich red to bright pinks) in jewelry of the 18th and 19th Century Russian Czarinas.
Photos: Courtesy, Langantiques.com and ippolita.com